Curious what we have been up to the last few weeks? Well the last two weeks of my life have been an Absolute Nightmare. On Friday April 15th I started having really bad stomach pains.... like really, really, really bad and different from anything else I have felt before. After a long night of crying and not being able to sleep Dev and I decided we better head over to the ER to make sure everything was okay. {At this point my pain had moved from the center of my stomach to my lower right side.} After a few preliminary test they found that I had some extra fluid around my appendix... but the radiologist said it wasnt enough for her to call appendicitis... so they sent me home with antibiotics for a minor UTI and a small ovarian cyst.
Over the next few days I developed a fever, chills, and my whole right side started to ache. I went back to 2 doctors appointments, got my blood drawn 3 more times... and still nothing from my doctor. She basically told me to go home and take tylenol and finish my antibiotics for my UTI. At this point I was so frusterated... no one was listening to me, I knew there was something else going on in my body and that it was getting worse. By April 25th I was in so much pain, and had such a bad fever... I called my doctor and she perscribed me some Lortab so that I could sleep a little better. On Wed April 27th I woke up feeling terrible... not only was my whole side in pain, but the Tylenol wasn't even touching my fever.... I decided that enough was enough. That morning I went back to the ER as soon as i got there I made it very clear that there was something seriously wrong with me and that I needed it to be fixed. I was lucky enough to get a really awesome ER nurse and doctor who aggreed that something was seriously wrong and that they needed to figure out what it was even if it ment me staying in the ER all day. By 2oclock that afternoon they had confirmed that my appendix had ruptured and I was scheduled for emergency surgery that evening. After the surgery my surgeon told me that I had been walking around with a ruptured appendix for days and that it had created a huge "pus pocket" next to my large intestines. She said that my infection was really knarly, that she removed my appendix and alot of the infection but that I would have to wear a lovely little tube with a pouch to drain the rest of the infection for the next few days. I still have this lovely tube and pouch... its literally the most annoying and grossest thing ive ever had to deal with and I cant wait till they pull this stupid thing out. I am still running a little low on energy, and my stomach is still a little sore, but I can tell that I am starting to feel better and am just grateful that soon enough this whole thing will be over with. Im so greatful that ive had Devo through this whole thing... not only does he do the groos job of draining and cleaning my pouch, but he has also been waiting on me hand and foot since ive been home... I could not have managed these last few days without him. I feel like Ive missed out on all of April... but such is life I guess... on to a Happy and Hopefully Healthy May.
Bye Bye Appendix... You Wont Be Missed.

8 comments:
poor thing! uhhh! This makes me so mad that they didn't listen to you in the first place when you told them something was wrong. I'm glad your okay and have such a great hubby to take care of you :) Maybe I can come visit you since your kinda out for the count!
I SURE wish I could have been there to help! I am SO sorry! I am still amazed that a Dr. couldnt figure out an appendicitis!!! That should have been routine... but, NO!!! ((HUGS)) LOVE YOU!
i'm sorry about your appendix!! dreadful.
i recognize you from byu-idaho. thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. i do make and sell my own granola! i'm still in the process of setting up my website and finalizing labels etc. but it's almost ready to go. where do you live? if you'd like to order some granola or just learn more about it or even just talk healthy eating then you can email me at janecmetcalf@gmail.com
well that was a great graduation present.... NOT! i'm so sorry DB, what a terrible 2 weeks you've had. after this weekend life can start! miss you
I still can't believe you were walking around with a ruptured appendix! You're one tough cookie sis.
Oh my goodness I am so sorry to hear about this whole mess!!! How miserable! So glad that you are feeling a little better. :)
GAH! I saw our little ucdh party message on facebook and read your comment about feeling better and I went straight to the blog... then there was your scary picture of you in a hospital bed. Not good! i am soo sorry! what an aweful thing! stupid appendix, but how happy that you are recovering and are doing well! hope you are still up for boards! love you DB! get better! :)
I'm so sorry that this happened to you! I'm glad you were feeling okay enough to take boards and that I got to see you there :) hope you continue to heal and feel better!
Post a Comment